SQL help on how to extract chars from a string?

From: <yliu_at_creighton.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:30:10 -0600

Hi All,

I need some help on how to use SQL to extract names from a string. My strings all look like the following string:

        name changed from "Yongge Liu" on date... The strings are 60 chars long. The names are variable length (I don't have any ideas how long the name is), but they are enclosed in quote (e.g. "Yongge Liu" in this example). I know the starting point of the name, but I do not know the ending position (I do know they are always ended with a double quote). I already checked out substr function, I don't think the substr function can do the job in my case. Can I write up some PL/SQL function to do this?

Thank you so kindly in advance.

Best regards

Yongge
yliu_at_creighton.edu Received on Tue Feb 09 1999 - 10:30:10 CST