Re: Oracle and a Y2K problem

From: Gary M. Gettier <openmind_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:59:23 -0500

ProfWdesk1 wrote:

> >We install the client version of Oracle on every user's computer. By default,
> >an Oracle registry variable called NLS_LANG is created with a value of:
> >AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
> >
> >With this setting, the date format is this: dd-mon-yy and 01-JAN-00 ==
> >January
> >1, 1900.
> >
> >Oracle does allow a variable called NLS_DATE_FORMAT to be set on the server
> >change the date format to 4 digit years. Unfortunately, the NLS_LANG setting
> >on
> >each user's computer overrides any setting on the server. So, the only way to
> >fix this problem, is to log into each computer's registry remotely (we have
> >about 150 users), and delete the NLS_LANG variable. This is what an Oracle
> >Technical Support person told me.
> >
> >Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there any other solutions?
> >
> >Also, is there any way I can install Oracle client on a network, and have the
> >users access it this way rather than have it installed on each computer.
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >Gary
>
> I've only studied Oracle for about 3 weeks now....so don't bet the farm on what
> I say...but does simply replacing the 'yy' with' rr' fix the problem...???
> Roy ProfWdesk1_at_aol.com

The problem is not the date format, but that I have to change it on EACH workstation. The 'rr' format is one format that I could use, but that won't work unless I change the format on every workstation.

Gary

--

Gary M. Gettier                                           openmind_at_erols.com
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find  in our particular superstition one redeeming feature. They are all  alike founded on fables and mythology." - Thomas Jefferson Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 22:59:23 CST