Java and generic logins

From: Chris May <chris_at_cjmcjm.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:25:24 +0000

Hi,

We are to rewrite some of our 2-tier applications as 3-tier using Java.

Does anyone have any advice on whether it is better to retain specific Oracle logins and passwords for each user or to use a pool of generic logins which the middle tier then uses to access the database?

As the application is primarly transaction processing with about 150 known concurrent users I would prefer to keep access, for security, auditing (and general ease of admin on my part), controlled on the database via the traditional means: user specific logins, passwords and roles.

This conflicts with the Java programmers who prefer to cache data in the middle tier and have the application server then relay the updates back to the database via a pool of generic logins.

I realise that is possible to take the control away from Oracle, handling the security outside the database and auditing via other methods - such as global package variables etc. However this seems less desirable from my (RDBMS) point of of view - especially as Oracle have themselves introduced new security features with Oracle8 (such as password validation and aging, for example).

Any advice would welcome.
--
Chris May Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 16:25:24 CST