outer joins

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:37:30 +0000

I have a couple of questions regarding outer joins.

  1. Is there some advantage to using (+) on only certain columns. The books suggest it must be applied to all columns when using multiple conditions. If this is the case then surely it's used in the wrong place and should be used somewhere in the from clause like MS Access. i.e T1 OUTER JOIN T2. As the SQL checker does not complain if a (+) is missing is it possible to take advantge of the usage to get some ,not so obvious, functionality.
  2. OK, why can't you use the OR or IN operator in an outer join. I'm sure there must be some logical reason in that using it won't do what you think ( or what I think anyway). I've used the decode to simulate the OR condition so if its so simple why can't SQL do it. The decode seems to do what I want so what am I Missing????