So how do I get more than 1 meg of output to my PC???

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 01:33:43 GMT

Thread re-titled from...
Re: UTL_FILE.FOPEN ... INVALID_PATH exception problem

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:19:15 -0000, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>utl_file has to write to a directory on the server,
>and has to have that directory specified in the
>init.ora file, and the directory has to be writable
>by the id of the process running the Oracle
>executable.

  Is this for real? The ultimate "industrial srength RDBMS" can't write to a client PC??? (no, a DBMS_OUTPUT buffer dump is *NOT* good enough). I'm talking about doing this under PL/SQL program control, not a raw SELECT spooled to disk. Will any of the following alternatives work...

  1. Have the server OS mount an NFS drive on my machine, so that Oracle *THINKS* it's writing to its server.
  2. Have management shell out some ridiculous amount of money for another copy of Oracle server (on my PC), and have my "server" access our corporate database as a "remote database". This would make me the DBA of my own machine, and I could write my own INIT.ORA
  3. ProFORTRAN or ProC (or do they have the same idiotic restrictions as UTL_FILE)?

  Is there any other option I'm missing?

Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com> procmail spamfilter http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm Received on Sun Feb 07 1999 - 19:33:43 CST