Finally got 8.0.4 (plus 8.0.4.0.3 patch) Win 9X client working

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 06:08:33 GMT

  This will be of interest to those of you who, like me, have been pounding their heads against a brick wall, trying to get Client 8 to connect under Win9X TCP/IP.   Credit for figuring out the following goes to Art Leganchuk, who's working for us on replacing some non-Y2K-compliant apps. I've copied his instructions almost verbatim. My comments are in square brackets. I only went as far as step 14, because I am working strictly with PL/SQL right now. And I can report that I do connect properly, with both PLUS80W.EXE and PLUS80.EXE.   Steps 15 onwards deal with ODBC. One of my co-workers looks after an NT machine, and he reports that ODBC works properly for NT Client 8 after following these instructions...

This procedure is long and tedious, and failure to read every word will result in failure of the system to work. Hell, even following every word, may STILL result in failure to work.

In the following procedure there are a number of REBOOTS suggested. They're suggested EVEN IF NOT REQUESTED.

IN ADDITION, if an installation procedure recommends a reboot that is not shown here, do it anyway.

  1. Using the registry editor, remove completely the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE and exit the editor.
  2. Remove the ORACLE directory from the PATH statement in autoexec.bat.
  3. Remove completely the oracle home directory and all its contents.
  4. EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN.
This appears to be important, as the installer seems to find certain files anywhere it can, and that screws up the installation.

5. REBOOT THE SYSTEM. 6. Install ORACLE 8.0.4 client, normally, letting it modify the PATH in autoexec.bat as per normal installation.

7. REBOOT THE SYSTEM. 8. Obtain the Oracle client patch 8.0.4.0.3 for Windows 95. This was downloaded from the ORACLE web page.
[ NOTE: I'm using Win98, and it works for me too. ]

9. Place this executable in its own directory, and run it. This expands the files into a specific directory structure.

  1. Read the installation instructions accompanying the patch. There is a "setup.exe" file accompanying the patch, but there is no reference to using it. Instead, you just use the oracle installer that would have been installed at step 6.
  2. Run the oracle installer. When it comes up with the custom installation page that shows the "installed" and "available" panels, then punch the "From" button. Search out the win95.prd file in the "install" directory which was created by the patch-expansion. Select that win95.prd as the "from" file.
  3. When the "available" modules come up select all EXCEPT the one referring to "Add-ins". Apparently the original 8.0.4 CLIENT installation does not install any "add-ins" so there is nothing to patch.
    [ NOTE: I only installed the SQL*PLUS client stuff, so this was
    OK for me. If you've installed additional options, you may have to select "add-ins" as well. ]
  4. Punch the "Install" button to complete, then exit the installer.
  5. REBOOT THE MACHINE.
  6. If not yet installed, install the INTERSOLV 3.11 ODBC driver normally. Use the normal "single driver" installation procedure.
  7. With the ODBC adminstrator (at least version 3.510.3002.13) configure all of the Oracle 8 databases that you intend to use with the INTERSOLV 3.11 ODBC driver.

For each database definition, I used default settings EXCEPT, on the "advanced" tab, set the "enable scrollable cursors" checkbox.

  1. REBOOT THE MACHINE.
  2. Use your registry editor, and find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBC.INI
UNDER this key, there should be a KEY naming each of the ODBC databases that were declared by the ODBC administrator.

  FOR EACH OF THE DATABASES, in turn:

  1. Open the key that names the database
  2. Under that key, use the EDIT | NEW | STRING VALUE menu item to create a new item.

     RENAME the item as:

         WorkArounds2

     Observe Spelling, Case, and note the "2"

21. After the item is created and renamed, select and highlight it,

     then use the menu item: EDIT | MODIFY to change its value.

22. Change the value to "24"

  Do the same for every other database declared to the   INTERSOLV 3.11 driver.

23. Exit the registry editor, AND REBOOT THE SYSTEM.

NOW, it might finally work.

Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com> procmail spamfilter http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm Received on Sun Feb 07 1999 - 00:08:33 CST