Re: how do I set up a single concatenated index??

From: John Vinson <jvinson_at_cyberSPAMLESShighway.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 01:00:39 GMT

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:38:34 -0600, "Thomas W. Motyka" <thomasM_at_thriftycall.com> wrote:

>I need to set a single concatenated index....how do I do that???
>I have several fields that I string together to make one field that a person
>can search on...this is taking forever....

CREATE INDEX indexname ON tablename (field1, field2, field3, field4);

with all the usual space, trans etc. options. You *don't* want to "string fields together to make one field" - if you have the multifield index, Oracle will use it if you're searching on Field1, Field2 and Field1, Field3, 2, and 1, or all four. Received on Sat Feb 06 1999 - 19:00:39 CST