Re: Help: Optimizer hints

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:49:52 -0000

It seems that the optimizert 'tries very hard' to switch to ALL_ROWS optimisation when you use CTAS. (Which is quite reasonable, really, since the table is not created until all the rows exist).

To get around this, I usually put the tables in the order I want them visited, use the ORDERED hint and then use the USE_NL hint very liberally. This usually works, though sometimes a very explicit index hint (including name) helps.

Jonathan Lewis