Better error messages?

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:39:08 +0000

Whilst struggling with saving forms to the database the other day I got a persistent ORA-00942 "table or view does not exist" error message.
Am I alone in thinking that this error message (if not others) would benefit by naming the table which "does not exist" ? I agree that were you to insert one record using sqlplus into the database and there was no such table (or you did not have access to it) then the message will suffice, but when things get more complicated via packages and triggers in LARGE systems then any help via the error message would be useful.

Or is there additional security by not naming the errant target table?
Thoughts please (and if you agree with me, who do I send my idea to at Oracle?)

Mungo Henning Received on Fri Feb 05 1999 - 07:39:08 CST