Re: What's your experience with multi-app data model development

From: Craig Brady <cpbrady_at_frontiernet.net>
Date: 5 Feb 1999 02:54:06 GMT

Chris:

>So I do not make the assumption that future developers can RTFM.

You're right.....developers are almost as bad as users when it comes to RTFM!! On a more serious note...
I've had some success implementing a multi-schema approach within a single instance of Oracle.
Divide the entities by subject area. If you're using ERWin to maintain a data model, create separate subject area views within the model. Now let's say you have three resulting subject areas. Print the three models. Colorize the common (shared) tables
Identify the subject area that 'owns' the common tables (determine ownership by getting the answer to the question: "Who performs the maintenance?"). Now create a fourth or 'common' or 'shared' subject area - and put these tables there. You still know who 'owns' each of them, but you can keep all of the others separate and distinct. Each subject area becomes a schema within the Oracle instance. If one grows and needs to be moved to another machine, you can still share via DBLinks - or if you need higher performance, replication.

It's not perfect, but it's worked for me more than once!

Craig Brady
Talisman Technologies Inc. Received on Thu Feb 04 1999 - 20:54:06 CST