Re: PeopleSoft Opinions???

From: Phil Caskanette <caskanet_at_mc1adm.UWaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:06:18 -0500

Douglas Scott wrote:

> My company is starting to implement PeopleSoft applications, so far they
> have HR and Financials online. I would like to know what is the general
> opinion of PeopleSoft from other people that have been using it. Does
> anyone know how PeopleSoft compares to Oracle applications?
>
> Thanks,
> Douglas Scott
> Douglas.S.Scott_at_USAHQ.unitedspacealliance.com

Depends on your point of view.

Oracle apps have tighter integration into the DBMS. PeopleSoft runs on multiple DBMS's so has a more generic product with it's own security. That's a negative for PS because their application security is poor and they can't make use of the DBMS security features. You have to customize to get the appropriate security and to get appropriate audit trails, transaction files and reports. I also have a big problem with any accounting software that allows you to change history records.

PS has a better client from the look and usability standpoint. Oracle's is better from a security standpoint but is a resource hog.

PS has a lot of functionality, which is a plus, but also a minus as it adds too much complexity. They tend to have a lot of updates and upgrades, so you're in a continual implementation mode. Oracle tends to be a bit better in that regard, but since these two are competitors you know they're going to continue to try to outdo each other. The number of tables used in these big applications is obscene. Our old HR system had maybe 100 tables, this PS one has in the neighbourhood of 1500.

--

Phil Caskanette                 |  e-mail: caskanet_at_UWaterloo.ca
Senior Auditor                  |  phone:  (519) 888-4567 x2774

Disclaimer: All expressed opinions are mine, and are not necessarily the views of my employer. Received on Wed Feb 03 1999 - 12:06:18 CST