Re: Autonumber Field in Oracle

From: Martin <I.want_at_no.mail>
Date: 2 Feb 1999 08:45:39 GMT

"Chris Capson" <capsoncc_at_nbnet.nb.ca> schrijfbewerkingen: > I am currently migrating a Microsft Access 97 application to Oracle. I have
> created all of my tables but i can't figure out how to handle the autonumber
> field from Microsoft access. This autonumber field should automatically
> increment by one anytime anybody inserts a record into the table. I have
> been reading about it and it sounds like Oracle has some sort of CREATE
> SEQUENTIAL. I am note sure how to set it up so that anytime a record is
> added that the primary key field will be incremented automatically. If
> anybody has any recommendations or examples they would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris Capson

First create the sequence something like:

  Create Sequence MySequence
    increment by 1
    start with 1;

(there's more, but this is a basic sequence,  check your manual for details)

Now you can: Insert into MyTable values (MySequence.nextvalue,...);

Pretty easy huh ? ;-)

Regards,

Martin Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 02:45:39 CST