Newbie help

From: Douglas J Hagen <djhagen_at_acsu.buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:01:01 -0500

Hello...I have to use sqlplus to do a little project, and I have never used it before. I'm using it in a strictly text based unix format. Here is what I need to know how to do (I have everything done before the line...preceeding the line is just so you know what's going on):

  1. Start a session with SQL*PLUS.g.
  2. Start a log of your session.
  3. Create a new table called "Student" with the fields:

    SSN type number, length 9 -- Social Security Number

    LNAME type character, length 20 -- Last Name

    FNAME type character,slength 10 -- First Name

    DEPARTMENT type character, length 3 -- Department of Major

    GPA type number, length 1 + 2 decimal -- Grade Point Average

4. Populate the Student talems oe with 5 records.

5. Set the headings for columns LNAME and FNAME to 'Last Name' and

   'First Name' respectively.
6. Set column SSN to display exactly 9 digits, including any leading zeros.

7. Query the database for a     list of all items in the Student table.
8. Enter a comment line.
9. Query the database for all studeo "unts with GPA less than 2.0
  1. Compute the average GPA.

So if anyone could send me (preferably email as well as news) any syntax for lines 5-10, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

  Doug Hagen
  djhagen_at_buffalo.edu