Re: Oracle Processes Stalling Problem

From: Jean-Claude Matarazzo <jcmata_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:11:03 +0100

  1. Perhaps, you have a problem of transaction, how do you do your transaction :

CONNECT user/password

select * from YOUR_TABLE where a_condition FOR UPDATE OF a_column NOWAIT;

IF there is an error ORA-0054 : resource busy .. your record is locked. ELSE
    update YOUR_TABLE set a_column=new_value where a_condition ;

COMMIT; The first transaction begin at the connection and ended with COMMIT or rollback.
After doing a commit or rollback, another transaction begin...

All the errors are returned, are you sure ?

2. Have you foreign keys on the table you want to lock ?