OO4O and Dates

From: Rich Chopyak <rich_at_alpinetg.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:26:15 -0700

I'm using OO4O in my Visual C applications to access both Oracle 7 and 8 databases. I've written wrappers around the OO4O classes so that I can easily convert my app to use either Microsoft Access or Oracle databases. Everything works great except that when I GetFieldValue() for date fields, it's not returning in the correct format. If I use TO_CHAR in my SQL, I can get the desired results, but I don't want to have to do that for every date. Plus that makes the SQL "non-Access."

Shouldn't I be able to issue an "ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'MM/DD/YYYY'" when I first connect to my database so that dates get returned in the format I need? I do this, and I don't get an error, but the returned dates don't recognize my new format. When I first wrote my classes, I thought this method worked, but either I'm mistaken or something has changed.

Some examples of the dates I get back are:

1/27/99
1/27/99 12:03:23 PM

I want 01/27/1999.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich Chopyak
Alpine Technology Group
rich_at_alpinetg.com Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 15:26:15 CST