Re: Pro C Exectution

From: Keith Jamieson <pdkj02_at_email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:03:56 +0000

I assume you are looking for the difference between Dynamic SQL and standard
SQL within PRO*C.

There are three basic dynamic sql statements.These are :
EXEC SQL PREPARE
EXEC SQL EXECUTE

EXEC SQL IMMEDIATE.

EXEC SQL PREPARE parses the statement and gives it a name. EXEC SQL EXECUTE then uses the name assigned by prepare to execute the statement.

EXEC SQL IMMEDIATE is simply a combination of Prepare and Execute together. I.e A shortcut to save your fingers.

Robert Pritchard wrote:

I'm not completely sure if this question is 100% relevant to this group
but I would appreciate any advice.
Can someone explain to me how a ProC statement is executed and what the
difference is between an EXECUTE IMMEDIATE statement and a standard one.

I appreciate that it is executed immediately but I am unsure what this
means in relevance to a standard query. Are the standard queries queued?
Or executed in blocks of x? Or whatever.
I would very much appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.
Thank you in advance
Rob