Fault Catcher Project

From: Richard Leigh <richardleigh_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:44:23 +1100

Hello All,

This message is to inform you of an exciting new development project. I

am hoping to get a few companies interested in the implementation of a fault tracking and help desk system and developers interested in contributing to the project.

What is fault tracker?

+====================+

Fault tracker is a Fault reporting/help desk software package. I realise there are varying other packages available which do this same task but there is always something missing from those packages and they are always extremely expensive.

My Background:
+============+
I spent 3 years working on and overseeing a University helpdesk, during which time I developed an understanding for what is required and what would be nice from a help desk system.

I have also spent a large amount of time on development teams producing various software applications(web and client server based) for clients.

My Idea:
+======+
Any developers, companies and interested parties who want to participate

in the project and contribute will be given the latest copy of the application free of charge - with some conditions of course (no resale, disclosing of the interlectual property etc etc), developers who want to

become partners in the venture (and are accepted) will share (proportionally) in any profits this package makes after the development

period has completed.

Note, the idea of this package is not necessarily to make bucket loads of money, but, to fill a whole in the market and produce an offering which is dynamic and "complete".

All platforms are targetted:

+==========================+

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Solaris, Macintosh. MS Access, MS SQL, Oracle8, Oracle 8i.

Technologies:
+===========+
First off, a windows based client server development has started using Delphi 3.0 and an Access 7.0 database. The idea of this is to target the lowest common denominator and port the database to MS SQL and Oracle.

Access with Delphi based client will be targetted at small development/help desk environments.

Access with Delphi based client for intranet and JAVA(server side(servlets/JAVA cgi)) based client for internet will be targetted at small internet connected environments.

ASP Client will be developed for Microsoft based intra/internet deployment.

Oracle 8i JAVA based development will be targetted at large organisations/institutions.

Other Information:

As this development is currently a part-time thing, it will take a little time to get to a version 1 release, but, I think it will be worthwhile in the end.

Remember there is no guarantee that this project will make money - I am not in it for the money, so if you are considering joining in a hope that this project *makes a mint* then don't, join to be a part of it - this project could lead into other distributed type developments.

Contact Information:

If you are interested in this projects and would like to become an early

adopter (which with contribuitions and feedback will result in free copies of the software) or developer (which with contribuitions could result in you being included in *any profits*(remembering this is not what the project is all about)) please contact me:

richardleigh_at_netscape.net (more formal email address will be provided)

Outlining anything you can bring to the project - this would be a good *hobby* for a student or someone wanting to develop software but hasn't been able to find the product to concentrate on. And as an employer myself, would look good on a resume. Received on Tue Jan 26 1999 - 16:44:23 CST