Re: oracle on a raid type system

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:32:05 -0800

I agree. I used to have comparison info on this but... Some people use
RAID 5 because you get  fault tolerance and you only lose n-1 disks
for parity, but pay a little more for writes. With RAID 10 (or 0+1), you
lose 50% of the disks immediately for mirroring, but get good performance
with the striping. The problem I have is I work on Oracle 7.3.4 and AIX
4.3.1. I'm told it can't do RAID 10 or 5 (performance problems). I get
a choice of 0 or 1 but not both. I choose to mirror and stripe tablespaces
across the drives, which is better than nothing but a pain. I still can't
guarantee that multiple drives will be used to handle large i/o requests.
Oracle 8's partitioning would help, but I wish we'd switch to SUN (or another
vendor) or IBM would support mirroring or striping.

Steve

Steve Foley wrote:

I have heard raid-5 is badness. Too much time spend calculating parity
slows down writes. Raid 0 + 1 (striping and shadowing) is what we are
using, but system is not live yet.

J Holden <jholden@voyager.net> wrote in article
<78am2u$cqh@news.voyager.net>...