Re: Help piping streaming data into Oracle

From: Gjlinker <gjlinker_at_aol.com>
Date: 23 Jan 1999 08:32:02 GMT

Hi,

I'm working on something similar only my data is coming from a continuous serial COM feed. What I do is the following:

VB5 on WinNT reading the feed from the COM port and posting it via TCP/IP to the server I want the data to go to.

Have a VB5 program listening for these TCP/IP messages, reading them, and posting them as inserts into Oracle using ODBC calls.

From within Oracle I process these records on arrival in the table by using a row trigger (to keep it event driven).

Cascade further into Oracle using more PL/SQL and triggers.

Eventually a table collects the final form of the data as inserts. A trigger on that table sends the info on a set of Oracle pipes.

A series of VB5 programs on WinNT reads from these pipes and communicate these messages further on serial or TCP/IP links.

To answer your question: No you don't need a special listener in Oracle. You can make everything event driven by using triggers.

FYI: throughput of the above system on a WinNT beefed up server is about 2500 messages per minute. Slowest factor in the chain is VB5 emptying the pipes.

Regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker
http://members.aol.com/gjlinker