HELP with grants

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:44:14 -0500

    I started this week at a company with six decent sized databases. Most of the objects in each have one owner - but there is some variation. The password is known for only one of the owners. I have been told that some older applications have the passwords coded and encrypted so I can't change the passwords of any of the object owners in the databases.

    I have access to SYS and to a fully privileged DBA user Tom who has a complete set of system privileges including GRANT ANY PRIVILEGE, INSERT ANY TABLE etc. All have the WITH ADMIN OPTION.

    When a user who is not the owner wants to get object rights to some object neither SYS nor Tom can grant them. Insufficient privileges says Oracle. I tried giving Tom all his system privileges directly in Enterprise Manager rather than through the DBA and other roles. Still no luck. I can't give Tom object privileges in Oracle manager says Oracle.

    Unless I'm mis-reading the documentation, I should be able to grant these object privileges given the system privileges already held by SYS and by Tom. Have I missed something along the way? TIA
Van
PS I know how to do it using the backdoor approach of cutting and pasting the encrypted passwords. But this is inelegant and prone to disastrous error if I do it enough times. I want to be able to do it in an aboveboard way. Received on Fri Jan 22 1999 - 19:44:14 CST