App Server and JavaScript

From: Mark C. Wilhelm <mwilhelm_at_ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: 21 Jan 1999 16:27:49 GMT

I'm having an interesting problem with JavaScript regarding the URL for my Oracle application server (3.0) versus the url for my plain old http server.

I'm attempting to "write" some data from the top frame to the bottom within the same browser window using document.write(). However, the top frame is generated by the appl. server (myserver.edu:4001) and the bottom frame is from the http server (myserver.edu). JavaScript forbids documents from one "domain" to write to documents from another. The problem is that the browser or JavaScript sees these 2 documents as coming from a different "domain" even though they are from the same server, just different ports.

The only solution I've been able to come up with is to dynamically generate _both_ frames from the appl. server. Thus, both documents come from the same "domain," which is myserver.edu:4001. I don't like this solution because I'm wasting processing the same static text whenever a user fetches the frameset.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Wilhelm			|	(57)3-7418
Web Programmer			|	mwilhelm_at_ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Instructional Computing,	|	ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~mwilhelm
School of Arts And Sciences	|
University of Pennsylvania	|