freeing space after dropping a table

From: Elizabeth Jones <bajones_at_sky.net>
Date: 21 Jan 1999 09:25:03 -0600

I have an oracle query that I want to run on a production system where we can't afford to have miscellaneous dropped tables taking up space. The query that I want to run takes a couple of hours if I use subqueries but if I stuff the data into temporary tables and join the tables it runs in about 5 minutes. The way that I am running the query is I create the tables, stuff them, truncate them and then drop them, and I'm not doing any commits. However, am I running a risk whenever I run this query that the space is not getting released when I truncate/drop? also, would it be better if I threw in a commit after the truncate/drop to try to ensure that these take effect?

--

Elizabeth Jones ************************** bajones_at_sky.net

Need a brittany? http://www.geocities.com/~brittanyrescue