Updates slow to table with 800 fields

From: <johndpenrose_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:14:58 GMT

I am updating a table that has about 800 fields, and the update statement takes over two seconds to execute in fiao5.

The table has 2 ints, 1 number(1), and 800 floats. The two ints and 1 number field make up an index. The where clause uses these three indexed fields.

The 800 floats are 400 X and 400 Y values for a graph. 400 is arbitrary since each plot can have 6000 points.

I am using Java 1.1.6 and JDBC as my application platform. I tested under fiao5 just to remove Java from the equation.

Would it be better to break up the 6000 points into rows of 1 point, 20 points, 100 points, etc.? Is there some threshold over which performance degrades?

It should be faster to use a JDBC PreparedStatement, but are there other things that would speed up the update?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Penrose
jpenrose_at_parker.nospam.com