Re: A question from a Newbie to be

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:42:44 +0100

Ian Bainbridge schrieb:

> I will be using Oracle quite soon, and my one question is:-
>
> How does Oracle authenticate access.
>
> 1. Internal authentication
>
> 2. NT Authentication
>
> 3. Both??
>
> We have a WAN and require users to login from various places that are not
> necessarily users on the NT server, I can I authenticate without having to
> set up the users on the NT server??
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Hi Ian,

Oracle runs as a service on NT. To use oracle you don't need to be logged into the NT-server. Create the necessary users inside the oracle db and let oracle authenticate the users. No need to pay MS more than necessary (smallest NT-license package 5 users).

HTH
Matthias
--
Matthias.Gresz_at_Privat.Post.DE