changing datatype

From: Richard <gbdslrba_at_uk.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:04:04 +0000

I have a table with about 20 columns (including a long raw) and about 60000 rows. I want to change the datatype of one of the columns from number to varchar2. I understand that the column must be empty to do this and so tried exporting the table, clearing the table and changing the datatype and then, unsuccessfully, tried reimporting. Does anyone know if, and how, it is possible to change a datatype and keep the data? Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 09:04:04 CST