Connecting 50 (and more) Threads simultaneously

From: Ralf Jonas <hennes_at_coglas.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:51:38 GMT

Hi,

to control a lot of external machines, which are connected to an Windows NT 4.0 SP 3, we need a lot of threads inside our program which =

are connected to an Oracle 8.0.3 seperately.

The main problem is the startup phase, because it's possible to start =

50 threads at once, but it's not possible to do 50 connects in parallel: About 10 connections are okay but the rest is rejected with =

error messages like 'ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process' (when server is an Oracle 7.1.3 on an HP-UX) =

or even 'ORA-12541: TNS:no listener' with an Oracle 8.0.3 on Windows =

NT Server 4.0 SP 3.

Our current work-around is a delay of 500 ms after the startup of each =

thread, but this slows down the initialization process drmatically, so =

the customer thinks the application has crashed.

The main goal should be to increase the time out value for the Oracle =

client, so we don't get that error messages, but we don't know, where =

to change this settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Ralf Jonas Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 04:51:38 CST