ProC and the UNIX fork!?!

From: Alexandre Wagner Agostini <agostini_at_unisys.com.br>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:14:58 -0200

Hi, guys!

    I've made a system like this: client-server, the client side just get two parameters and then
send it, via ordinary TCP/IP connection to the server which has a permanent connection
with an Oracle db. The server was written using ProC. The problem is that when the whole
thing runs I get ,after a while (a few minutes), the error "maximum number of open cursors
exceeded" e then the connection with Oracle falls.

   I suspect this is due to the fact that I open the db connection once, then to each new
TCP connection I fork off a child to handle the operation with the db. After the operation is
done (it's just a single UPDATE statement) the child simply exits.  SO... the 1 million dollar question: how can I make the connetion in one process, do
the statement in other, and get whole thing stable and working??

PS.: The specs: Solaris 2.5.1, Oracle 7.3.2.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Alex. Received on Sun Jan 17 1999 - 00:14:58 CST