Re: Data Dictionary poor performance

From: Diane <Diane_at_coalole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:04:40 +0000

In article <369E1252.2309_at_groton.pfizer.com>, Darryl E Balaski <darryl_e_balaski_at_groton.pfizer.com> writes
>I agree with Terry -- Never analyze the oracle Internal Objects.
>
>As I said before, the problem can reside in many areas -- first and
>foremost being a possible undersized shared_pool -- good chance you
>would wish to increase it.
>Although, there are a plethera of other reasons that would effect
>performance
>(block size, too small buffer cache, etc etc)
>
>darryl dB Balaski
>www.rdbms.org
>
>Terry Ball wrote:
>>
>> NO, NO, NO. Never analyze the sys (dictionary included) tables.
>> If the dictionary tables (or any sys tables) have statics on them, you
>> should consider deleting those stats.
>>
>> Terry Ball
>> Sr. DBA, CSG Systems
>>
>> Diane wrote:
>> > In article <916178135.19434.1.nnrp-08.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,
>> > Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> writes

>> > Or analyzing the tables (see under administration utilities)
>> > --
>> > Diane

Sorry but I just had Oracle support telling me to run analyze on the tables today - I am running 2.1.1 and it uses the cost based optimizer. Oracle support has told me to reanalyze every time I do a reverse engineer or a lot of updates to the tables. I assume they know what they're talking about.
--
Diane Received on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 13:04:40 CST