Oracle Spatial Data Option

From: Neil Waller <nwaller_at_denr.sa.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:32:15 +1030

Has anyone out there had experience with Oracle's Spatial Data Cartridge?

We have it available in both Oracle 7.3.4 and Oracle 8.0.3 versions.

My initial reaction is the initial spatial fetch is very quick but that the PL/SQL procedures to determine the spatial interactions can be very slow. I tried to find the Wards in a Local Government Area, and I'm talking 10000 cornered polygons here, and, in the time Oracle 8.0.3 SDO was doing its filtering I had written a bit of C++ code using the OCI and debugged and run it. My code could do in a few seconds what Oracle was taking hours to do.

The situation isn't so bad when I try to find the towns (fairly small polygons) in a Local Government Area. This takes a couple of minutes rather than hours.

The problem may be with my sql statements and their tuning but the OCI code was not tuned ...

Any comments would be welcome.

--
Neil Waller (nwaller_at_denr.sa.gov.au)
Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs

Telephone:	Oz: (08) 8204 9218; International: (618) 8204 9218
Mail:		GPO Box 1047, ADELAIDE 5001     Australia