case (in)sensitive problem

From: Matjaz Zitek <matjaz.zitek_at_rcl.si>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:15:15 GMT

I'm new in ORACLE and have a question presented on simple SQL SELECT

SELECT * FROM customer WHERE firstname='John'

How can I get all rows no matter how they are stored in table ("JOHN","John","John") ?

posible solution :
- I tried with function UPPER but if I understand, it can't use a index on
a field (in this case - 'firstname')
- Store information in UPPER or LOWER

any other solution ? Received on Thu Jan 14 1999 - 09:15:15 CST