Re: Oracle 7.3.x life expectancy??

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:43:19 +0800

Harry Boswell wrote:

> I've just taken an Oracle DBA position after being
> away from Oracle stuff for about 2 1/2 years. We
> will be implementing a new system in about 18
> months, which is based on Oracle 7.3.x (the only
> thing I've seen from the contractor so far
> referred to "whatever the latest bug-free release
> of 7.3 is", which I'm assuming is 7.3.4. My
> question is, should I press the issue of 7.3.x
> vs. Oracle8? Has Oracle Corp. foretold the end
> of 7.3 support?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry
>
> --
> Harry Boswell hboswell_at_netdoor.com
> USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
> Home Page: http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell

( I think...)

7.3.3 "active" support stopped in Dec'98 7.3.4 "active" support stops in Dec 2001

where "active" means - "find an existing bug, we'll send you the patch, find a new bug and you're out of luck"

HTH --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"The difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad" Received on Wed Jan 13 1999 - 02:43:19 CST