Re: Sql Server 7 vs Oracle 8

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:21:55 GMT

In article <77ed5f$ref$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   jahorsch_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <76jrna$krb$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> mgogala_at_rocketmail.com wrote:
> > In article <76bv9p$30q$1_at_news.worldcom.ch>,
> > "boss" <daemon_at_worldcom.ch> wrote:
> > > hi,
> > > i'm looking for some information about the main difference between Sql
> > > server 7.0 and Oracle 8.
> > > the advantage and disadvantage.
> > >

> > Oracle8 runs on almost any conceivable platform with the possible exception
> > of coffee machine (I'm not sure that it doesn't), while SQL server runs only
> > on NT. Oracle8 has very good network connectivity with gateways to DB2,
> > Sybase, and SQL Server which is definitely not true for SQL Server. There
> > are many more apps running on top of Oracle then on top of SQL Server.
> > Oracle8 is much faster and much more tunable then SQL Server. There are many
> > more books published about Oracle then SQL Server, so it's easier to learn.
> >
> > --
> > Mladen Gogala

> SQL Server 7.0 can do distributed joins with any DB that has a compliant OLE
> DB driver or even a compliant ODBC Driver right out of the box. Oracle you
> have to pay for these gatways where SQL Server it comes free

Oracle gateways are not just for distributed queries, they can do transactions, too. 2PC doesn't work through OLE.

 along with Data
> Tranformation Services, Scheduler,

What the heck are data transformation services and Scheduler?

>OLAP support, etc. By the time you get

OLAP support? What kind of of OLAP support? Excel? I'm afraid that the world of relational databases has completely different terminology.

> all of this for Oracle you just bought your Oracle rep a nice new car!

I'm not so sure about that, either. As a general rule, you pay for the things what they are worth. You can get 5 years old Ford Escort for $2000 and a new BMW 850i costs a bit more. Your argumentation is essentially this: they both have 4 wheels, so why would I pay for BMW?

> I am
> not ripping Oracle. Oracle has its place with scalability and stability but
> as far as the price and the features you get out of the box Oracle cannot
> touch it (and will never unless Larry sells his boat.) SQL Server 7.0 > > also
> will require a much smaller DBA staff so I think TCO will be substaintially
> smaller.

DBAs are not very necessary if you are running 3 NT servers, with either Oracle or SQL server and if you have 100,000 rows total. There are small and insignifficant details like joins, views, large batch updates etc. that sometimes need tuning. The role of DBAs is to help optimizing performance of the applications as well. 90% of DBA time in a medium sized company is not spent on backups, grants and monitoring, it's spent on performance tuning. How well is SQL Server optimizer documented, what kind of optimizer is it, how many people know it well? Without such a trivial thing as the knowledge of the optimizer, join of two 1000 rows tables will effectively read 1000000 rows. If you plan to develop serious applications on top of any RDBMS, better get yourself a decent DBA. For SQL Server those are virtually non-existant. Zero administration is a scam resulting in megabucks being lost for the companies which go for it. The truth is that you cannot do data processing without data processing professionals, regardless of what you've been told.

> The only reason I would go to Oracle right now is database size or
> needs to support isolation levels that SQL Server will not.

Whaddya mean by "isolation level"? If ain't ACID it ain't relational database, either. (ACID = Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability). If you can see the outcome of other transactions before they have commited, you'll get wrong results, plain and simple. You'll get cancelled transactions in your monthly financial reports. It can be very funny, you know.