Contention on sequence numbers in parallel server

From: Patrick Nobels <patrick.nobels_at_ping.be>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:49:04 +0100

I have an Oracle 7.3.4 database running on an IBM SP2. Two Instances on two different nodes access a single database. Users, using the same application, are connected to both of the instances, and data gets stored in the same tables. Initially, the application was not written for Oracle Parallel Server. As a result of this I get heavy pinging of databaseblocks to synchronize the instances.

One of the major problems, certainly not the only one, are the sequences used in the application. Transactions on one instance very often have to wait for a transaction on another instance to complete.

Can anybody give me some information on how to tackle this problem ? Received on Sun Jan 10 1999 - 10:49:04 CST