Help with Roles/Permissions

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:46:45 -0500

Running Oracle Server 8.03 Enterprise Ed. on NT 4sp3 Server and client both on same machine using a bequeath connection.

I created database, then ran catalog.sql and catproc.sql I created a user JOE and granted him every role and permission.

in SQL+ as system/manager ran pupbld.sql in SQL+ as JOE ran catdbsyn.sql
Using enterprise manager I can see all the data dictionary views and their public synonyms. The views are valid.

views owned by SYS                              public synonym
  gv_$session                                            gv$session
  all_objects                                              all_objects
  v_$version                                               v$version

BUT in SQL+ as sys/sys
desc gv_$session gives a proper description of the view whereas desc gv$session gives
ERROR:
ORA-24332: invalid object type

Why can't sys see the public synonyms?

JOE can't either. The only difference is that he has to qualify the underlying view with owner sys in order to see them. What am I missing here? Thanks. Received on Sat Jan 09 1999 - 10:46:45 CST