date & numeric conversion routines

From: <car_door_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:24:14 GMT

I'm writing an application that allows the user to insert data directly into the database, bypassing the engine. The end user may provide character, date, or numeric data. In order to insert numeric and date data, I need to convert it to Oracle's internal format. (With character data, there is no need to convert because there is no fancy internal format for strings.)

Can anyone out there point me to freely available date and numeric conversion routines? I have seen the internal date and numeric representations, and it looks like writing the routines from scratch will be a bear.