Re: Date Trivia Question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:14:22 -0500

Hi,

    How many seconds are there in the range of dates? I suspect that the answer is
2 to the 32nd. This shouldn't be an issue since the current versions of Oracle store
dates as seven bytes (one for century, one for year, one for month, one for day, one
for hour, one for minute and one for seconds), but I suspect some earlier version of
Oracle stored dates as a 32 bit field.

    Unlike some of the minicomputer makers Oracle showed great restraint in not
making their base date the year of their founding.

regards

Jerry