Re: Using OCI (v7.x) how to make a two phase commit work ?

From: Steven Belbin <steven.belbin_at_consyst-sql.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:18:19 -0500

Thomas Kyte wrote in message <369e3378.29226475_at_192.86.155.100>...

Tom,

Thanks for the reply, I was expecting such an answer.

>Short of that, in v7, you could make oracle the 'commit' point -- that is,
ask
>the other N-1 data sources to prepare to commit. If they all vote yes,
then
>issue the commit in Oracle v7. If it succeeds -- the 'vote' from Oracle
was to
>commit (and it already has). If it fails -- the 'vote' from Oracle was to
>rollback (and it already did).

    This is a solution that we currently implement by placing the data sources that do not support a prepare to commit statement after those data sources that support this command and were all successful.

    However, when there is more there more than one data sources that does not support the prepare to commit statement, the application's inter data sources integrity could be comprimised (especially when a loss of communication occurs).

    In which case, it was a demanded that the data source administrators could be able to manually to roll the in doubt transactions either forwards or backwards.

    I did inform them that several relational database products automatically did the roll forwards or backwards of indoubt transactions, but they insisted that they wanted to do it manually (to me it is a kind of "power-trip").

    Basically, for our software to support two phase commit with an Oracle 7 database without the need of a third party transaction manager.

    I need either to get the Oracle specifications, include and library files for writing a XA and make one myself. Is this info limited to specific Oracle development partners or is it general ?

    Or I need go to an shop was has Oracle 7 database and a third party transaction manager and monitor the packets sent between these two products (which is about as exciting as watching water turning into ice....), then attempt to mimic this functionnality with the Oracle 7 database. Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 13:18:19 CST