Deleting from tables

From: Siva Prakash <sprakash_at_cellnet.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:48:15 +0000

Hi Gurus,

We a have a huge table in our oracle database with about 700K to 800K records
getting into the table on a daily basis. We have to maintain 60 days worth data in the
table and we are free to delete older data. This means that we will have to maintain
800K * 60 records in the table.

Now, deleting these records gets overly time&resource consuming. Due to heavy job loads, we are forced to run this delete jobs only during weekends.
I know that the solution to this lies in oracle-8 (partition tables). We are currently
running 7.3.3 and it will take atleast 8 months for the upgrade.

Given this scenario, what is the best way to delete records from this table?

Iam sure some of you are riding the same boat and probably have some kind
of solution on hand.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Siva Received on Mon Jan 04 1999 - 16:48:15 CST