Record locking - UPDATE

From: <suisum_at_ecn.ab.ca>
Date: 4 Jan 99 21:36:21 GMT

I read the following from the Oracle Certified Professional DBA Certification Exam Guide. I think it may be an error:

Chapter 3 - Creating the Oracle Database (P. 139) - Locks

<QUOTE>

TIP: An update statement acquires a special row-level lock called a "row-exclusive" lock, which means that for the period of time the update statement is executing, no other user in the database can view OR change the data in the row. Another update statement, the select for update statement, acquires a more lenient lock called the "share row" lock. This lock means that for the period of time the update statement is changing the data in the rows of the table, no other user may change that row, but users may look at the data in the row as it changes.
<UNQUOTE>

I sign on as a user to update a row without commit. Then sign on as another to select the same row. I can see it. The record locking is only occured when the second user want to update the same row.

Anyone can clarify this?

--
Best regards, Received on Mon Jan 04 1999 - 15:36:21 CST