Using OCI (v7.x) how to make a two phase commit work ?

From: Steven Belbin <steven.belbin_at_consyst-sql.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:08:01 -0500

Hi,

    I will directly get to the point, using OCI (version 7.x) how can I issue a prepare to commit statement, followed either by a confirmation or cancelation of the previously prepared transaction.

    The context is the following; I wrote a program that applies the two phase commit model on a relational database and other data sources. The other data sources are not necessarily a relational database (it could be a COM / CORBA transaction, third party product, etc...). These data sources are just required to provide the two phase commit model.

    In short, I wrote a lite model of a transaction manager (like TUXEDO, ENCICA) specifically for our software.

    With OCI version 8, Oracle has publically provided the the OCI C functions to manage a database transaction. Thus allowing us to start a database transaction, issue a prepare to commit, commit, rollback and stopping of the database transaction (yeah, no problem for OCI version 8).

    How can I manage a database transaction with an Oracle 7 database (especially the prepare to commit statement, commit and rollback ) ?

    Under OCI version 7.x, how could this be achieved ?

P.S. :

    I know it is possible, since several X-OPEN compliant transaction managers have successfully implemented it for Oracle 7 databases. However, most of our clients do not use one of these X-OPEN compliant transaction managers. Therefore X-OPEN solutions are not applicable in my case.

--
Steven Belbin
R&D Consultant