Re: Getting Role and Permissions from DB

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 14:00:36 GMT

A copy of this was sent to suisum_at_ecn.ab.ca () (if that email address didn't require changing) On 4 Jan 99 04:49:28 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi Thomas:
>
>Thank you very much again for your valuable guidance.
>
>Sorry, I don't understand the last paragraph - Long story short .... Would
>you mind giving some examples and alert points when we add another piece
>to the view that might break the upgrade, please?

An example would be:

things like that...

>Thanks a lot,
>
>Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
>
>: Long story short: Views are a tool just like stored procedures are and triggers
>: are. <Snip>
>
>: <Snip> I've written my own
>: views against the base tables in the data dictionary to do things they can't or
>: don't (or just perform too slowly). I think twice before doing so cause every
>: time you do that, you add another piece that might break when you upgrade --
>: they same would be true of your application -- every time you query against the
>: base tables, you have linked your application to that schema, if you feel the
>: need to change the schema, you have to fix the application. Not too hard if you
>: do everything in pl/sql as the dependency mechanism makes it easy to find all of
>: the broken code, but if you have a large app where some of the sql lives in the
>: application, it can get harder.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Mon Jan 04 1999 - 08:00:36 CST