default date formats for varchar2?

From: Steve <SHL9_at_cornell.edu>
Date: 3 Jan 1999 14:54:48 GMT

My problem is that I have a varchar2[10] that I have loaded with what should be 5 digit phone numbers [5-1934] but the problem is that Oracle seems to think that these are dates and forces a format of May-1934 (or whatever) on them. Any ideas on how I can turn off or override this default formatting? Note, this is not a date field, it is a varchar2.
 Thanks for any help - Steve ; SHL9_at_cornell.edu Received on Sun Jan 03 1999 - 08:54:48 CST