Re: Formatting output on varchar2(256). How to force a certain characters per column

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 02:29:36 GMT

A copy of this was sent to qdnguyen_at_flash.net (Quoc Nguyen) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 00:45:53 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello World.
>
>Can someone show me how to force a fix number of char on a column that
>has been defined as varchar2(256)? Right now, the header/underline
>goes for 256 chars (wrapped around my screen several times) even when
>my data is less than 20 bytes.
>
>Thks a bunch
>Quoc

I assume you mean this occurrs in sqlplus? If so, try this:

  1* select file_name from dba_data_files where rownum = 1 SQL> / FILE_NAME

/d05/dbs/intranet_upload.dbf
SQL> column file_name format a10
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    this is the important line....
SQL> / FILE_NAME

/d05/dbs/i
ntranet_up
load.dbf

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jan 01 1999 - 20:29:36 CST