Synonym tables queries for ORACLE through ACCESS

From: <muhammadb_at_epenergy.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:48:25 GMT

Oracle has a security feature that you can refernce original tables in the databse through synonym tables in your query. This enables the secrecy of the original table . When you run the query for synonym tables , in the background ORACLE picks that synonym table name , compares it to the actual table name and then runs the query and returns the result. Now here is the problem, in ACCESS if i were to hook up to external database, after being hooked up, I'll be looking at all the tables in that database. The trouble I'm having is that when i hook ACCESS to ORACLE . here is the catch 22 . I can only run the query for the tables I see in my tables tab in ACCESS. But if the original tables are hidden in oracle , they won't be visible in access. If they are not visible I can't run the query. How can i refernce to the synonym tables in ORACLE through my ACCESS query . Cuz Synonym tables are not listed in the ACCESS TAB . Any suggestions? Thanks Bilal