Re: Executable not found newbie question (Oracle/Linux)

From: Gerard Tromp <tromp_at_sanger.med.wayne.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:28:11 -0500

[Mailed and Posted]

David Sisk wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've just gotten ORACLE8 for Linux installed on an Intel-based box. I'm
> trying to determine if I've missed something in the pre- or
> post-installation tasks. Essentially, I can't run SVRMGRL, SQLPLUS, etc.
> regardless of which user I'm signed in as (neither oracle, root, nor my own
> userid). It returns the not found message, even if the working directory is
> the one containing the file. Both of these are marked as w-rx--rx---x
> (meaning owner write read execute, group read execute, and all execute,
> right?) The ORACLE_HOME and other environment variables are set (at least
> on the oracle user), but that shouldn't matter anyway if I'm sitting in the
> bin directory where those executables actually are, right? Does anyone have
> any advice? Please reply via email as well as posting here?

This is a UNIX administration problem. The problem is in the configuration of the PATH environment variable. The directory containing the binaries must be present in the path. Looks like the system admin also did not set up the current directory in the path (.). Try ./command_name if you are in the bin directory that is almost like specifying the full path
(/some/directories/to/bin_directory/command_name) since the . specifies the current directory.

Set up the paths in .login and .profile or .cshrc or both. Syntax is shell dependent -- ORACLE manual does/did have examples. NOTE it is a BAD IDEA for root to have the current working directory in PATH.

Gerard
--

Gerard Tromp, Ph.D.