Re: TNS...pls help.

From: Keith Gilbert <peggyandkeith_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 29 Dec 1998 04:58:29 GMT

Ellen Chiem wrote in message <36884EDA.C559284F_at_nettrack.com.au>...
>Hi,
>
>Platform : AIX version 4.3.1, Oracle 7.3.2
>
>I'm very new to Oracle, so please bear with me. I have just install the
>Oracle server and now are in the process if setting up a test database
>to run a third party product call Netview. When I try to run the Netview
>script I keep getting the same errro "ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve
>service name". I have done everything that the troubleshoot book
>advised, but alas still the same error. Basically, the script just
>create another sql script to create some table.
>
>Am I missing something is my setup of the instance?. (The listener is up
>and running.)
>
>Thanks very much for the help.
>
>:-) Ellen

Ellen,

I know you may have already checked the documentation on this error but just in case here it is:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name Cause: The service name specified is not defined correctly in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Action: Make the following checks and correct the error: - Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.
- Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
- Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide. If possible, regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle Network Manager.

There is also a neat little utility that may be installed called tnsping supplied by oracle that may assist with testing the resultant combination of TCP/IP hostname resolution, TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files.

Keith Received on Mon Dec 28 1998 - 22:58:29 CST