Re: Oracle Performance Problem

From: Michael Krall <mkrall_at_ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 20:28:59 -0500

Darryl Snover wrote in message ...
>We have an application that loads a number of 'language' defaults
>(basically several tables with one or two rows of data in each to set a
>language option). On two essentially identical hardware machines with
>Oracle 8, one being a Netware 5 server, the other being Windoze NT 4, the
>language-defaults loading takes _much_ less time on the NT based server,
>but _only_ on Windows-based clients (ie, Mac or OS/2 clients no
>difference). The Netware server seems to be between 30-50% faster for
>most things that are server-intensive, but I really would like to find out
>why the _huge_ performance advantage for Windows clients to the Windows
>Server. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Darryl Snover

Darryl ,
I would look to the network protocol. If you are using SPX for the connect to both, then the Novell 512 byte datagram is the issue. Please reply with the protocols being used.

Michael Krall
Senior Systems Engineer
Safety 1st
mkrall_at_safety1st.com Received on Wed Dec 23 1998 - 19:28:59 CST