"unable to extend segment" error and remote queries

From: Josh Gough <dasjsg_at_panther.gsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:36:35 -0500

Hi,

    I've been trying to execute a query to join 3 tables, 2 remote, one local, with no luck whatsoever.

I can do it with 2 tables, but once I try to introduce the third, i get this kind of error:

ERROR at line 7:
ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace ORA-02063: preceding line from FAUD

(FAUD is the remote host)

Well, I thought at first from the errors documentation that this was an error on the remote side because of the ORA-02603 error, but I'm not so sure now because in my alert log I see the 01652 message over and over. The user I am using to connect locally is part of the "users" tablespace and I have added two datafiles to this space but I do not think it is affecting anything. I'm quite baffled on this....any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh Gough

Incidentally, here are the queries:
I'm trying to join two, and three, tables. In the example that works, I simply join the Faculty and degree descriptions tables (CIP) on the ID code, then display the actual textual description of the ID code from the CIP table.

(Preface: I know these tables look a bit strange, but they were ported
from a 20 year old system and are very non-relational as a result. *shrug*)

 This one works fine:

SELECT
 CIP.description,
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.SSN_at_FAUD
FROM
 CIP,
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION_at_FAUD
WHERE
  DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.DEGREE1_CIP_CODE_at_FAUD = CIP.ID And this one does too:

SELECT
 DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION.FIRST_NAME_at_FAUD,  DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.SSN_at_FAUD
FROM
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION_at_FAUD,
 DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION_at_FAUD
WHERE
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.SSN_at_FAUD =
DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION.SOCIAL_SECURITY_NUMBER_at_FAUD However, this one, gives the tablespace error:

SELECT
 CIP.description,
 DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION.FIRST_NAME_at_FAUD,  DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.SSN_at_FAUD
FROM
 CIP,
 DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION_at_FAUD,
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION_at_FAUD
WHERE
 DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.SSN_at_FAUD =
DWHADM.PERSON_DIMENSION.SOCIAL_SECURITY_NUMBER_at_FAUD AND
  DWHADM.FACULTY_DIMENSION.DEGREE1_CIP_CODE_at_FAUD = CIP.ID error:
ERROR at line 3:
ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by in tablespace ORA-02063: preceding line from FAUD Received on Mon Dec 21 1998 - 13:36:35 CST