Returning resultset from stored procedure

From: <yitbsal_at_statcan.ca>
Date: 1998/12/18

Hi,

I would like to be able to create a stored procedure that does one 'select' statement and returns the resultset via an OUT parameter to the calling function (say, a VB or Delphi) program. I would like the VB or Delphi client to receive the data in a resultset, in the same way that it would by running the SQL query itself. Is this possible?

From what I understand, I can't use the table datatype, because it can only contain one column. Of course, I can use several tables, but then it would be messy for the client software.

Why do I want to do this? Essentially, I would like the client to be able to call stored procedures to return data instead of bothering with the SQL itself. These stored procedures would consist of small bits of code and an SQL query.

Thanks,
Salaam Yitbarek