Re: How does Access 97 rate as a front end?

From: Michael Smith <mds_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/12/16

Access is a great tool for quickly viewing tables and querying the database, but at my company we have found that it doesn't work very well for larger applications. It has tended to be buggy and a resource hog in our larger applications (although it hasn't been as bad since we upgraded to Access 97). We use MS SQL Server for our database, but I would bet that it would perform in a similar fashion with Oracle.

My understanding is that Access was originally designed for smaller, standalone applications. It works well for that, but in our experience, it has not been an industrial strength development environment.

A good alternative is PowerBuilder, which we are now using for our new development. I used PowerBuilder in my previous job (I am a Certified PowerBuilder Developer) and I have found that it is an excellent development tool. One advantage is that it provides Oracle native drivers so you wouldn't have to use ODBC.

Whichever tool you use, I strongly suggest you pick something other than Access.